Sean O'Shea by Sean O'Shea
Shamrock Rovers make history and qualify for Europa league, greatest result ever for League of Ireland side
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 06:00 PM
- Is Rory McIlroy a spoiled brat and just an overgrown child? - Antics during the U.S. Open leave his maturity very much in question
- Was Notre Dame’s Everett Golson caught cheating at exams leading to suspension? Quarterback statement hints at major integrity issue and harsh punishment does also
- Orb should win Preakness easily, Oxbow up for second
- Could Celtic boss Neil Lennon be next manager at Manchester United? - His European exploits, especially defeating Barcelona may put him in frame
- Orb has what it takes to win Triple Crown in 2013 - Kentucky Derby winner has breeding, connections and talent
Incredibly, part-time League of Ireland side Shamrock Rovers have qualified for the Europa league, where they could meet the likes of Celtic and Rangers afte defeating Partizan Begrade in Belgrade on Thursday night by 2-1, overall 3-2.
Irish radio called it "The greatest goal in the history of Irish football" and it was a penalty kick from Stephen O'Donnell! late in extra time which won it.
Rovers went to Belgrade after a 1-1 tie in Dublin and expectations were low they could grab a victory away from home.
They were even lower after Belgrade scored but a wonder goal from O'Sullivan put them back in the game.