Sean O'Shea by Sean O'Shea
Rory McIlroy off to one over start at British Open, six shots behind lead
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 at 08:13 AM
- Is Rory McIlroy a spoiled brat and just an overgrown child? - Antics during the U.S. Open leave his maturity very much in question
- Was Notre Dame’s Everett Golson caught cheating at exams leading to suspension? Quarterback statement hints at major integrity issue and harsh punishment does also
- Orb should win Preakness easily, Oxbow up for second
- Could Celtic boss Neil Lennon be next manager at Manchester United? - His European exploits, especially defeating Barcelona may put him in frame
- Orb has what it takes to win Triple Crown in 2013 - Kentucky Derby winner has breeding, connections and talent
Rory McIlory got off to a reasonable start at the British Open in Royal Sandwich, bogeying the first hole and dropping another shot to par to go two over after 12 but he pulled one back on the 17th .
That was six shots behind current leader Thomas Bjorn who was at five under as he completed his first round
McIlroy scrambled to save par on the second but dropped another shot on the third.
He finally got one back on the eight when he holed a long putt.
However, he was well back hardly the start he wanted for the tournament.
There have been massive expectations and hype about McIlroy after his US Open win and it hardly surprising that he may be feeling some of that pressure.
Strong winds has made the holes tough and the Royal and Ancient responded by making the greens more approachable.