Sean O'Shea by Sean O'Shea
Rory McIlroy dumps Chubby Chandler as agent -- girlfriend Caroline Wozniacki seen as behind move
Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2011 at 06:11 AM
- Is Rory McIlroy a spoiled brat and just an overgrown child? - Antics during the U.S. Open leave his maturity very much in question
- Was Notre Dame’s Everett Golson caught cheating at exams leading to suspension? Quarterback statement hints at major integrity issue and harsh punishment does also
- Orb should win Preakness easily, Oxbow up for second
- Could Celtic boss Neil Lennon be next manager at Manchester United? - His European exploits, especially defeating Barcelona may put him in frame
- Orb has what it takes to win Triple Crown in 2013 - Kentucky Derby winner has breeding, connections and talent
In a sensational move Rory McIlroy has dropped his long time agent Chubby Chandler, (pictured together), and joined with fellow golf major winner Graeme McDowell, in a new Dublin-based agency.
Chandler who handles many of the world's top golfers finds himself on the outs because apparently young Rory felt he was not getting enough personal attention.
The influence of Rory's new girlfriend, tennis star Caroline Wozniacki, is plain to be seen according to Rory watchers in the new move.
Chandler was told after Rory finished a golf tournament in Bermuda this week then flew to Indonesia with Wozniacki for a vacation.
"Chubby and his team have played a very important role in my success to date," Rory said. "I am now keen to move on to the next stage of my career and I feel this will be facilitated by a fresh view and a new structure around me."
He has joined the Dublin-based Horizon, run by Conor Ridge who also manages McDowell and other top Irish golfers.
"We wish Rory every success," Chandler said in a terse statement.
'I was shocked,' Chandler told The Daily Mail.
‘I don’t know whether it was his girlfriend (world No 1 tennis player Caroline Wozniacki) getting in his ear or someone else but I thought we were doing a pretty good job, to be honest, and I think that’s how the outside world saw it,’ said Chandler.
‘We sat down and he said he was not happy with his brand, sponsors, website or his public relations image,’ said Chandler.
‘I thought we were sorting things out to his liking. We’d just spent 10 days travelling around the world and had a fantastic time.’