Sean O'Shea by Sean O'Shea
Notre Dame's Brian Kelly's decision to stick with Tommy Rees for bowl game a major mistake
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2011 at 02:49 PM
- Is Rory McIlroy a spoiled brat and just an overgrown child? - Antics during the U.S. Open leave his maturity very much in question
- Was Notre Dame’s Everett Golson caught cheating at exams leading to suspension? Quarterback statement hints at major integrity issue and harsh punishment does also
- Orb should win Preakness easily, Oxbow up for second
- Could Celtic boss Neil Lennon be next manager at Manchester United? - His European exploits, especially defeating Barcelona may put him in frame
- Orb has what it takes to win Triple Crown in 2013 - Kentucky Derby winner has breeding, connections and talent
|Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly|
Brian Kelly's decision to start Tommy Rees in the Champs bowl game against Florida State is already being second guessed.
Andrew Hendrix is seen by many now as the quarterback of the future. Rees's failings were only too evident against Stanford and his lack of a running option and deep threat means he will always be limited.
Hendrix on the other hand is an exciting runner and showed against Stanford that he can pass too.
Dayne Crist has decided to transfer his final year which explains why Kelly did not introduce him in the Stanford game.
More news on the Notre Dame Fighting Irish from IrishCentral
Congressman Peter King slams fellow Republican Newt Gingrich
Christmas outrage in Killarney as six deer are decapitated
Given that Cris is out of the picture it is hard to see why Kelly has gone with Rees.
He has had a full year to evaluate him and while he has done well against inferior opponents, against USC and Stanford he was ineffective.
Hendrix would be a gamble but a bowl game like this is the perfect opportunity to have him find his feet and see if he can make the cut.
Florida State will be tough. They are coming off a disappointing season but have every reason to want to win this one.
It is hard to understand why Kelly sticks with Rees.
I hope on December 29th he won't live to regret it.
'Tommy Turnover' as some fans cruelly nickname him, needs to have the game of his life.