Sean O'Shea by Sean O'Shea
Notre Dame face a no-win situation against Western Michigan
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 at 11:16 AM
- Orb should win Preakness easily, Oxbow up for second
- Could Celtic boss Neil Lennon be next manager at Manchester United? - His European exploits, especially defeating Barcelona may put him in frame
- Orb has what it takes to win Triple Crown in 2013 - Kentucky Derby winner has breeding, connections and talent
- Goldencents can lead all the way for Doug O’Neill in Kentucky Derby - Lines of Battle, Irish horse looks outclassed in Run for the Roses
- Why Ireland’s Rory McIlroy can defeat Tiger Woods at the 2013 Masters - Comeback kid proves in Texas Open that he still has a unique talent
Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly knows today's game against Western Michigan is fraught with peril.
Sure the Irish are now in the easier part of the schedule but the temptation to let down their guard must be contained,
Western Michigan have a good passing game and could keep it close early and the one thing we know about this Irish side is that they can be very unpredictable in close games.
They eked out a victory last week against Pittsburgh, but a decent field goal kicker for Pitt would have meant a very different story.
So the Irish can afford to take no chances against an unranked side like Western Michigan
The game will also be important for the Irish to see if TE Tyler Eifert can replace Kyle Rudolph who is now out for the season.
Rudolph was Dayne Crist's go-to guy when a play was desperately needed. Expect Crist, (pictured), to try and set up some confidence building passes to Eifert early in the game.
There may also be snaps for Tommy Rees,clearly Kelly's quarterback of the future who could use some game time if Notre Dame build a big lead.
Expect Michael Floyd too to have a big day.
He has been threatening a breakout all season and this will surely be that game.
The Broncos know they have nothing to lose and it is their one shot at immortality.
I think back to the UConn game last year and shudder. I don't think the Broncos are as good as U COnn but they are similarly unheralded.
Notre Dame should put this game way early and quickly.