Sean O'Shea by Sean O'Shea
New York Yankee's hero Derek Jeter's Irish roots examined, mother Dorothy is Conner
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2011 at 08:01 AM
- Is Rory McIlroy a spoiled brat and just an overgrown child? - Antics during the U.S. Open leave his maturity very much in question
- Was Notre Dame’s Everett Golson caught cheating at exams leading to suspension? Quarterback statement hints at major integrity issue and harsh punishment does also
- Orb should win Preakness easily, Oxbow up for second
- Could Celtic boss Neil Lennon be next manager at Manchester United? - His European exploits, especially defeating Barcelona may put him in frame
- Orb has what it takes to win Triple Crown in 2013 - Kentucky Derby winner has breeding, connections and talent
3,000 hit hero Derek Jeter is African American and Irish.
His mother Dorothy is an Irish American accountant nammed Conner from New Jersey.
It was his mother's father, Sonny, a church handyman who inspired Jeter to take up baseball.
In his biography Jeter writes about his grandfather drilling, training and encouraging him for hours and instilling his passion for the game.
Jeter's father Charles, is African American and a substance abuse counselor.
Jeter refers in his biography to his Irish roots joking most people think he is either Italian or Hispanic and Black
His fiancee, Minka Kelly, is also of Irish extraction.