John Duddy wins his big fight in Texas
- Is Rory McIlroy a spoiled brat and just an overgrown child? - Antics during the U.S. Open leave his maturity very much in question
- Was Notre Dame’s Everett Golson caught cheating at exams leading to suspension? Quarterback statement hints at major integrity issue and harsh punishment does also
- Orb should win Preakness easily, Oxbow up for second
- Could Celtic boss Neil Lennon be next manager at Manchester United? - His European exploits, especially defeating Barcelona may put him in frame
- Orb has what it takes to win Triple Crown in 2013 - Kentucky Derby winner has breeding, connections and talent
John Duddy decisioned Michael Medina in Texas Stadium on Saturday night, winning on a scorecard in his favor of of 96-93 by two judges to 96-93 for Medina on the third scorecard. Duddy's record is now 29-1.
The narrow win now sets Duddy up for a title match against Julio Cesar Chavez in June, say boxing insiders.
Duddy will not be happy with this victory however, against a boxer considered far inferior to him.
Indeed,if Medina did not have a point deducted in the eight round for a low blow the fight would have been even closer. Duddy was at his best in the earlier rounds but the fight ended with Medina scoring some good shots as the Derry man visibly wilted.
However at 29-1 Duddy can now look forward to that big payday against Chavez that has long eluded him.