Sean O'Shea by Sean O'Shea
It is Rex Ryan versus the Rooneys in New York Jets/Pittsburgh clash
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2011 at 12:33 PM
- Is Rory McIlroy a spoiled brat and just an overgrown child? - Antics during the U.S. Open leave his maturity very much in question
- Was Notre Dame’s Everett Golson caught cheating at exams leading to suspension? Quarterback statement hints at major integrity issue and harsh punishment does also
- Orb should win Preakness easily, Oxbow up for second
- Could Celtic boss Neil Lennon be next manager at Manchester United? - His European exploits, especially defeating Barcelona may put him in frame
- Orb has what it takes to win Triple Crown in 2013 - Kentucky Derby winner has breeding, connections and talent
It is Rex Ryan versus the Rooney family on Sunday night in the battle between two franchises who could not be more different.
The Rooneys have built a dynasty,a football powerhouse that is competitive almost every year and has Super Bowl trophies in abundance.
The legend is built around figures like Terry Bradshaw, Franco Harris, and now Troy Paulamalo every decade.
Great coaches like Chuck Noll , Bill Cowher and now Mike Tomlin seem to form a seamless succession.
Behind it all is the Rooney family, perhaps the most respected in sports, who have fought on behalf of Black coaches, underdogs and the little guy all their lives.
It would be hard to find a more classy outfit-- Ben Roethlesberger not withstanding
Then there is the Jets.
Sure there was 1968 and Joe Namath, but since then nothing-- that's 43 years
Years of bad coaches Rick Kotite anyone? Terrible quarterbacks .. Ken O'Brien, Ray Lucas anyone?
Rich Kotite with a .123 wining average,and Joe Walton, famous for picking his nose on the sidelines were too often the face of the Jets.
Then there's ownership.Woody Johnson is no Rooney family. His estranged daughter died tragically of a drug overdose in Hollywood last year. The family squabbles are often in the public eye.
But now the bums and the big deals clash in the AFC championship game .
And the bums just might steal it