Sean O'Shea by Sean O'Shea
Is there a new quarterback controversy at Notre Dame between Tommy Rees and Dayne Crist?
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2010 at 06:36 PM
- Is Rory McIlroy a spoiled brat and just an overgrown child? - Antics during the U.S. Open leave his maturity very much in question
- Was Notre Dame’s Everett Golson caught cheating at exams leading to suspension? Quarterback statement hints at major integrity issue and harsh punishment does also
- Orb should win Preakness easily, Oxbow up for second
- Could Celtic boss Neil Lennon be next manager at Manchester United? - His European exploits, especially defeating Barcelona may put him in frame
- Orb has what it takes to win Triple Crown in 2013 - Kentucky Derby winner has breeding, connections and talent
Is there a new quarterback controversy at Notre Dame after Dayne Crist's deeply disappointing outing against Navy and the poised play of Tommy Rees, (pictured), when he stepped into the game in the fourth quarter?
Sure a touchdown in garbage time is no indicator of anything, but Crist was so poor in this game that the old questions about him are sure to resurface.
Sure the defense was terrible playing the triple option like they had never seen or heard of it before.
However, if Crist scores the first drive touchdown instead of stalling on the one yard line, and doesn't throw the interception at the end of the first half when the Irish defense had finally stopped a Navy charge this might have been a very different game.
Navy tried to rattle Rees when he came on but the young freshman proved very cool under pressure and found his receivers with ease, something Crist was clearly unable to do.
If Kelly threw Rees into the Tulsa game next week and blooded him against what is likely their weakest opponent he might suddenly be the quarterback of the future.
I don't think Kelly will but he clearly likes Rees who hails from the Chicago area.
This was Kelly's worst loss by far since becoming coach of the Fighting Irish and the defense reminded me of last year's pathetic bunch as they repeatedly failed to stop the Navy run.
The loss certainly puts it up to this team to finish 8-8. Games against USC and Utah will likely be losses unless the unexpected happens.
The Navy game has certainly brought this Notre Dame side down to earth with a bang.