Sean O'Shea by Sean O'Shea
Is Rory McIlroy a spoiled brat and just an overgrown child? - Antics during the U.S. Open leave his maturity very much in question
Posted on Monday, June 17, 2013 at 08:24 AM
- Is Rory McIlroy a spoiled brat and just an overgrown child? - Antics during the U.S. Open leave his maturity very much in question
- Was Notre Dame’s Everett Golson caught cheating at exams leading to suspension? Quarterback statement hints at major integrity issue and harsh punishment does also
- Orb should win Preakness easily, Oxbow up for second
- Could Celtic boss Neil Lennon be next manager at Manchester United? - His European exploits, especially defeating Barcelona may put him in frame
- Orb has what it takes to win Triple Crown in 2013 - Kentucky Derby winner has breeding, connections and talent
|Rory McIlroy flings his club after chipping towards the 4th green. He shot 76 in the final round at the US Open to finish 14 over par. Photograph: Rob Carr/Getty Images|
It showed him hitting a very bad shot then grinding his club into the ground until he broke it.
Yes it was one of those Nike clubs that they have paid $200 million to sponsor and it made McIlroy look like a very spoilt brat indeed.
Every golfer has frustrations, some even throw clubs as McIlroy did earlier in the same round but the sheer tantrum on the golf course that McIlroy threw was above and beyond.
Earlier on Thursday he was seen arguing with his caddy when he made a wrong club selection. It is not something that usually happens so openly.
Yes he is having a tough year and clearly he has personal problems, having sacked his second management team in as many years.
I am beginning to suspect that fame came too early to the County Down lad and now he is struggling mightily with it.
He has God given talents but seems to expect the golf world to lie down and give him every tournament.
Remember he walked off in a snot earlier this year when he was doing badly in a tournament.
That is not the act of a champion or even a classy human being.
Nike must be seriously wondering if they have spent wisely.
The rest of us are wondering what happened to that smiling young lad who captivated the golf world last year. See more: Irish sports blog , Irish Sports , Irish in Golf