Sean O'Shea by Sean O'Shea
Irish golfer Graeme McDowell pulls a Rory McIlroy collapse at Players Championship
Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 09:26 PM
- Is Rory McIlroy a spoiled brat and just an overgrown child? - Antics during the U.S. Open leave his maturity very much in question
- Was Notre Dame’s Everett Golson caught cheating at exams leading to suspension? Quarterback statement hints at major integrity issue and harsh punishment does also
- Orb should win Preakness easily, Oxbow up for second
- Could Celtic boss Neil Lennon be next manager at Manchester United? - His European exploits, especially defeating Barcelona may put him in frame
- Orb has what it takes to win Triple Crown in 2013 - Kentucky Derby winner has breeding, connections and talent
Graeme McDowell knows now what Rory McIlroy felt like at the Masters.
Big Mac was leading the field in the final round of the Sawgrass Players Championship, often called the fifth major and golf's richest prize.
He proceeded to dump four shots into the water for a 79 and dropped all the way down to 33rd place.
It was a McIlroy-like collapse for the amiable Irishman, last year's US Open champion who has become known for his guts under pressure.
On this occasion, however it was his two playing partners who dominated the final round with KJ Choi eventually winning on the first play off hole over David Toms the veteran.
But McDowell will have McIlroy type nightmares about his final round as nothing seemed to go right and he hit ball after ball into the drink.
He'll be hoping he has got the kinks out of his game before the upcoming US Open at Congressional where he defends his title.
And he'll be hoping to stay dry.