Sean O'Shea by Sean O'Shea
Ireland's Rory McIlroy is champion at US Open -- breaks all known records in doing so
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 08:30 PM
- Is Rory McIlroy a spoiled brat and just an overgrown child? - Antics during the U.S. Open leave his maturity very much in question
- Was Notre Dame’s Everett Golson caught cheating at exams leading to suspension? Quarterback statement hints at major integrity issue and harsh punishment does also
- Orb should win Preakness easily, Oxbow up for second
- Could Celtic boss Neil Lennon be next manager at Manchester United? - His European exploits, especially defeating Barcelona may put him in frame
- Orb has what it takes to win Triple Crown in 2013 - Kentucky Derby winner has breeding, connections and talent
Rory McIlroy won the US Open at Congressional finishing up in spectacular fashion with a par at the 18th hole after hitting a shot to within six inches of the hole from off the green.
The spark of genius typified the performance of the Northern Irishman who finished the day at a spectacular -16 in a tournament he led from the first day.
His margin of victory was eight strokes, the most comprehensive win in a golf major since the heyday of Tiger Woods.
When McIlroy came to the final green he got a rousing reception. He spotted his dad in the crowd and gave him the thumbs up and a fist pump.
It was the end of an extraordinary four days with McIlroy living up to the incredible potential he has long shown.
Now Northern Ireland has two back to back champions in the US Open an occurrence you would have got a million to one on two years ago.