Sean O'Shea by Sean O'Shea
Ireland defeat Armenia 1-0 in European Championship on Keith Fahey goal
Posted on Friday, September 03, 2010 at 01:51 PM
- Is Rory McIlroy a spoiled brat and just an overgrown child? - Antics during the U.S. Open leave his maturity very much in question
- Was Notre Dame’s Everett Golson caught cheating at exams leading to suspension? Quarterback statement hints at major integrity issue and harsh punishment does also
- Orb should win Preakness easily, Oxbow up for second
- Could Celtic boss Neil Lennon be next manager at Manchester United? - His European exploits, especially defeating Barcelona may put him in frame
- Orb has what it takes to win Triple Crown in 2013 - Kentucky Derby winner has breeding, connections and talent
Ireland defeated Armenia 1-0 to kick off their European championship with a critical away win.
Keith Fahey , the former League of Ireland player, now with Birmingham City, was the Irish savior, knocking home the goal in the 76th minute after Kevin Doyle had missed a chance. He had come on as a substitute.
Ireland will be very happy to escape Armenia with the three points. Armenia almost scored in extra time but a brilliant last-second intervention by Liam Lawrence saved the day.
Throughout the game the locals were very defensive minded and Irish chances were few and far between.But after Ireland scored Armenia pushed forward and came close
Fahey, the 27-year-old from Dublin has had a checkered career, playing in League of Ireland with until quite late in is career.
Now he is a key cog in the Birmingham side as they face their first season in the Premiership after promotion last year.
Ireland now play Andorra on Tuesday in Dublin