Sean O'Shea by Sean O'Shea
Exclusive: Robbie Keane to Join LA Galaxy
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2011 at 05:40 PM
- Orb should win Preakness easily, Oxbow up for second
- Could Celtic boss Neil Lennon be next manager at Manchester United? - His European exploits, especially defeating Barcelona may put him in frame
- Orb has what it takes to win Triple Crown in 2013 - Kentucky Derby winner has breeding, connections and talent
- Goldencents can lead all the way for Doug O’Neill in Kentucky Derby - Lines of Battle, Irish horse looks outclassed in Run for the Roses
- Why Ireland’s Rory McIlroy can defeat Tiger Woods at the 2013 Masters - Comeback kid proves in Texas Open that he still has a unique talent
The move was revealed today as Keane, 31, found no takers for his services in the English Premiership. He failed to reach agreement with his last club, Tottenham, whose boss Harry Redknapp proved not to be a Keane fan. Keane has played with Tottenham since January of 2009, but has been lent out to Glasgow Celtic and West Ham United during that time.
Keane, 31, played in a scoreless draw against Croatia in Dublin on Wednesday evening for the Irish national side. He is expected to travel to Los Angeles to undergo a physical and complete the two-year deal that will see him join Beckham, who signed with the Galaxy in January 2007 in a package worth a reported $250 million.
Keane is the all-time leading goal scorer for the Irish national side, with 58 scores in 108 appearances. His devotion to playing for his country is well-known.
Keane, father of a toddler son, is married to Dublin model Claudine Palmer, who has said in the past that she would welcome a move to the U.S. "Would I like to see him play for a team like LA Galaxy? Yes, I would love that, but it changes all the time," she said 18 months ago when word first surfaced that an American move could be in Keane's future.