Sean O'Shea by Sean O'Shea
English soccer star signs to play for Ireland
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 at 08:59 PM
- Orb should win Preakness easily, Oxbow up for second
- Could Celtic boss Neil Lennon be next manager at Manchester United? - His European exploits, especially defeating Barcelona may put him in frame
- Orb has what it takes to win Triple Crown in 2013 - Kentucky Derby winner has breeding, connections and talent
- Goldencents can lead all the way for Doug O’Neill in Kentucky Derby - Lines of Battle, Irish horse looks outclassed in Run for the Roses
- Why Ireland’s Rory McIlroy can defeat Tiger Woods at the 2013 Masters - Comeback kid proves in Texas Open that he still has a unique talent
One of England's leading young professionals has signed for ireland to repay his parent's love for him.
Ciaran Clarke was the England under 18 captain and plays on the first team at Aston Villa, one of England's top clubs.
"Why have I chosen to play for Ireland? For myself and my family." he told the Press Association.
"My family have done a lot for me over the years, since I was a little boy. I owe them a lot so I've made this decision for them.
"Richard Dunne (Villa and Ireland defender) mentioned it to Ireland and they looked into it and got in contact with me and the club. They gave me time to think about it and about my decision.
"If all the paperwork has gone through by the next game, I'll be in contention so fingers crossed that happens."
: "I was England Under-18 captain but I didn't think I was going anywhere really with that.
"When a young lad gets an opportunity like this, it is hard to turn down."