Sean O'Shea by Sean O'Shea
End of Alex Ferguson as Manchester United crash out of European Champions league?
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 at 06:20 PM
- Orb should win Preakness easily, Oxbow up for second
- Could Celtic boss Neil Lennon be next manager at Manchester United? - His European exploits, especially defeating Barcelona may put him in frame
- Orb has what it takes to win Triple Crown in 2013 - Kentucky Derby winner has breeding, connections and talent
- Goldencents can lead all the way for Doug O’Neill in Kentucky Derby - Lines of Battle, Irish horse looks outclassed in Run for the Roses
- Why Ireland’s Rory McIlroy can defeat Tiger Woods at the 2013 Masters - Comeback kid proves in Texas Open that he still has a unique talent
|Sir Alex Ferguson|
They lost 2-1 to Basel and now face taking part in the Europa league, the equivalent of the bush leagues.
The loss calls into question the future of Sir Alex Ferguson who has reached the age where most managers have long since gone to some quiet place.
More Irish sports news from IrishCentral
Irishman dropped child at day-care and robbed a New Jersey bank
Duffy’s Cut archaeologists search for descendants of murdered John Ruddy
This loss will confront Ferguson with the reality that he has a huge uphill task to rebuild this United team where newcomers have never replaced the now departed Ronaldo and Beckham.
It may well be a good time to quit while he is still ahead and the glory days still outnumber nights like last night.
On the domestic scene this United team will have great difficulty catching Manchester City and it would be rough indeed for Ferguson to see the premiership pass to his arch crosstown rivals.
There may never be a better time for Sir Alex to say goodbye than in the aftermath of this defeat.