Sean O'Shea by Sean O'Shea
Conor Niland retires with upset stomach at US Open against Djokovich
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 at 06:43 PM
- Could Celtic boss Neil Lennon be next manager at Manchester United? - His European exploits, especially defeating Barcelona may put him in frame
- Orb has what it takes to win Triple Crown in 2013 - Kentucky Derby winner has breeding, connections and talent
- Goldencents can lead all the way for Doug O’Neill in Kentucky Derby - Lines of Battle, Irish horse looks outclassed in Run for the Roses
- Why Ireland’s Rory McIlroy can defeat Tiger Woods at the 2013 Masters - Comeback kid proves in Texas Open that he still has a unique talent
- Has Rory McIlroy joined Oscar Pistorius, Lance Armstrong and Tiger Woods in the Nike curse?
Ireland's Conor Niland retired with an upset stomach after falling behind 6-0 5-1 to No 1 seed Novak Djokovich in their US Open first round clash.
Niland has been suffering from food poisoning for two days said a friend after the game was stopped with Niland clearly in distress.
He was the first Irish-born player to qualify for the US Open but his much anticipated game against the Wimbledon champion was a sad disappointment for him.