Sean O'Shea by Sean O'Shea
Conor Niland retires with upset stomach at US Open against Djokovich
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 at 06:43 PM
- Is Rory McIlroy a spoiled brat and just an overgrown child? - Antics during the U.S. Open leave his maturity very much in question
- Was Notre Dame’s Everett Golson caught cheating at exams leading to suspension? Quarterback statement hints at major integrity issue and harsh punishment does also
- Orb should win Preakness easily, Oxbow up for second
- Could Celtic boss Neil Lennon be next manager at Manchester United? - His European exploits, especially defeating Barcelona may put him in frame
- Orb has what it takes to win Triple Crown in 2013 - Kentucky Derby winner has breeding, connections and talent
Ireland's Conor Niland retired with an upset stomach after falling behind 6-0 5-1 to No 1 seed Novak Djokovich in their US Open first round clash.
Niland has been suffering from food poisoning for two days said a friend after the game was stopped with Niland clearly in distress.
He was the first Irish-born player to qualify for the US Open but his much anticipated game against the Wimbledon champion was a sad disappointment for him.