Sean O'Shea by Sean O'Shea
Calls for Notre Dame's Brian Kelly to resign over Sullivan death are absurd
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 at 08:26 PM
- Orb should win Preakness easily, Oxbow up for second
- Could Celtic boss Neil Lennon be next manager at Manchester United? - His European exploits, especially defeating Barcelona may put him in frame
- Orb has what it takes to win Triple Crown in 2013 - Kentucky Derby winner has breeding, connections and talent
- Goldencents can lead all the way for Doug O’Neill in Kentucky Derby - Lines of Battle, Irish horse looks outclassed in Run for the Roses
- Why Ireland’s Rory McIlroy can defeat Tiger Woods at the 2013 Masters - Comeback kid proves in Texas Open that he still has a unique talent
Fox sports are calling for Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly to be canned after the death of young junior Declan Sullivan,(pictured), who was taping practice when the lift he was on collapsed.
Others are claiming Kelly was negligent because Sullivan and every other cog and wheel in the football program is his responsibility.
To which I say no way.
Sometimes tragedies happen, without reason or rationale. We have a blame culture going here in America, someone has to be responsible and a lot of lawyers get rich on that reality.
That someone is not Brian Kelly on this occasion.
What we had here was what insurance claim experts call 'An Act of God'
A young man lost his life senselessly in an accident that defies explanation.
But let's not blame Coach Kelly for what occurred.
Let there be a thorough investigation into what happened and where, if any, the responsibility lies.
Kelly was doing his job, overseeing his football squad. He is responsible for every one of those players from soup to nuts in every practice, in every game.
He is not responsible for everything else.
To claim otherwise is absurd.
Declan Sullivan is dead, a tragic loss that must be a massive heart breaker for all his family.
But playing the blame game diminishes his death and his clearly extraordinary life.
The calls for Kelly to resign are ridiculous