Sean O'Shea by Sean O'Shea
Belmont Stakes can go to Irish challenger Master of Hounds with Santiva second -Final leg of Triple Crown takes place at Belmont Park
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2011 at 10:50 PM
- Orb should win Preakness easily, Oxbow up for second
- Could Celtic boss Neil Lennon be next manager at Manchester United? - His European exploits, especially defeating Barcelona may put him in frame
- Orb has what it takes to win Triple Crown in 2013 - Kentucky Derby winner has breeding, connections and talent
- Goldencents can lead all the way for Doug O’Neill in Kentucky Derby - Lines of Battle, Irish horse looks outclassed in Run for the Roses
- Why Ireland’s Rory McIlroy can defeat Tiger Woods at the 2013 Masters - Comeback kid proves in Texas Open that he still has a unique talent
Two Irish connected horses face the starter in tomorrow's Belmont Stakes and a one - two is not out of the question.
The final leg of the Triple Crown will go off at Belmont park in New York shortly after six o'clock
Santiva is trained by Waterford born Eddie Kenneally and his sixth place finish in the Kentucky Derby after an interrupted preparation makes him a horse to reckon with.
Master of Hounds, (pictured above) starting from the one hole, is trained by maestro Aidan O'Brien in County Tipperary and ran fifth in the Kentucky Derby, just ahead of Santiva.
He closed into a very slow pace, and at one point was way off the pace in 15th place.
Jockey Garret Gomez sticks with Master of Hounds, a very significant move by arguably the best jockey in America.
Santiva's trainer, Kenneally, is very confident he has a fit and fresh horse,having skipped the Preakness Stakes where Shackleford ended any hope of a Triple Crown for Derby winner Animal Kingdom when holding off his late charge.
Shackleford will go to the front again in the Belmont and will play catch me if you can. I expect Master of Hounds to be closer to the pace this time and if he can avoid being pinned down on the inside form his inside draw, then he can make the last and most effective challenge.
Santiva will be coming late too and an Irish-one two is not out of the question, but if you want to just choose one then Master of Hounds might upset the applecart at odds around 10/1.