The West's Awakeby Cormac MacConnell
- Looking forward to cutting ties to the ties that bind my throttle
- Bishop Eamon Casey served us well, and deserves our prayers
- A lovely tale of island life in the paradise of West Clare
- The Boarding Out orphan was a wonderful pick
- How do the Irish regard their American visitors? With pride
Be very careful, finally, if you are either a Murphy or a Moriarty...
One way or the other there will be some kind of silver lining.
Official summer arrived at the beginning of June and with it came torrents of rain. Our spring, on the other hand, was so sunny and bright and dry that it was better than most of the summers of the last five years.
The countryside was parched and so dry the farmers were looking at the sky and praying for rain. By heavens their prayers were answered!
A little while ago I took a writing break for a coffee and cigarette out in the cottage garden, and dammit if I did not clearly hear my first cuckoo of the season. I enjoyed that a lot.