Madden Family History and Castles in Ireland
- Irish Families DNA test for Genealogy Researchers
- Irish Names that begin with ‘A’ and ‘MacA..’
- Bean Pháidín (Paddy's wife) or ' I wanna be Paddys Girl '
- Irish Muslims, the sack of Cork Ireland, Hackett the traitor and DNA a key
- About Louisville Irish Fest; National Irish Genealogy Launch
Irish Family Name of the Day:
Related Spellings of the Name
O’Madden, Madigan, MacAvaddy, Madagane, Maddin, Madin,
Varient Spelling Groups: #1154, 1224, 2489
(Taken from the Master Guide to the Various Spellings
of Irish Family Names) http://www.irishroots.com/id4918.htm
Historical Notes on the Madden Name
The family of O'Madden, of Ui Maine, can be found on the banks
of the Shannon River. Their territory included parts of the barony
of Longford in Co. Galway, and the barony of Garrycastle in Kings
Co. (Co. Offaly)....
In Keatings History "O'Madagain or O'Madadhain Anglicized O'Madden"
was given in Longford barony and on the other side of the Shannon in
the parish of Lusmagh in Kings Co.. They are given as a branch of the
Clan Colla, of the same descent as the O'Kellys, princes of the Ui Maine.
It should be noted that there are English families of the name, and
Maddentown in Co. Kildare is named for the same.
See link to Madden Castles and Castles of Galway at bottom, below.
copyright 2007, IGF, based in part upon
The Book of Irish Families, great and small
Irish Family Coats of Arms
Here is some of the information given in the Irish Book of Arms
1) The illustrated arms for Madden of Hilton Park are given
in the Irish Book of arms, along with the illustrated family motto !
Looks like a bird or an eagle on both the crest and shield along
with a cross.
The Free Master Index Search of Irish Names
at Irishroots.com finds the family 97 times
including the following examples :
1) O’Madden in the History of the Milesian Families of Ireland.
2) O’Madden in Tribes and Customs of the Hy Many (arms, chief)
Madden of Baggotsrath, Madden of Fermanagh, Madden of Kildare,
Madden of Monaghan pedigree....
3) Anthony Madden, Journal of American Irish Historical Society 26.
4) Madden householders in Families of Co. Kerry, Ireland
5) O’Maddens in Surnames of Ireland with 200 family maps.
6) O’Madden History and chief: in Annals of Ireland by the Four Masters.
7) J. Madden, O’Maddens: in Irish Families on the California Trail.
Website of the Week:
Madden Castles in Ireland
- over 10 illustrations with commentary.
Including: Ballymore Castle, Brackloon Castle, Cloghan Castle, Derryhivenny
Castle, Eyrecourt Castle, Lismore Castle, Longford Castle and more....
About the author
Mike descends from the O’Loughlins of Kilfenora, County Clare,
and the O’Donahues of Glenflesk, County Kerry. He also bears
Sullivan, Buckley, Kilmartin, Llewellyn and Kelliher roots.
A one of a kind resource, Mike is the most published author
his field, including books; newsletters; podcasts; and videos.
His books and publications are found at: