Irish Community Connections by Irish Community News
The Friends of Michael Joyce announce the 5K2Play
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 08:37 AM
- New York Irish Center's bi-lingual winter table quiz, get out and practice your cúpla focal
- New York City’s Basket Brigade appeal for help this Thanksgiving
- Enrol for American citizenship classes at the Irish International Immigrant Center
- World Mental Health Day, starting the conversation
- Employment rights in America
On November 3, 2012 the Friends of Michael Joyce, Inc. will host the 5K2Play run/walk road race. The race will start and finish at DCR’s Mother’s Rest in South Boston, MA. The race will start at 9:00 AM and registration opens at 7:30 AM. The event will raise money for the revitalization of the Michael Joyce Memorial Playground. Currently the playground isn’t handicap accessible and is in need of an update. The Friends of Michael Joyce are rebuilding the playground in order to further help the local community.
Husband, father, community activist, and tireless public servant, Michael Joyce was an ordinary man with an extraordinary heart. To the thousands of immigrants he helped along the road to citizenship and naturalization, Mike was a mentor, a trusted advisor, and a faithful friend. He treated everyone with compassion, respect, and dignity. Michael Joyce never asked a person’s race, color, or creed. He would only ask, “How can I help?” He taught us the true meaning of life—people helping people.
For more information about Michael Joyce and the 5K2Play road race please visit www.joyceplayground.org