Irish Community Connections by Irish Community News
Springboard Wider Horizons Participant Profile: Chris Adams
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2012 at 10:13 AM
- New York Irish Center's bi-lingual winter table quiz, get out and practice your cúpla focal
- New York City’s Basket Brigade appeal for help this Thanksgiving
- Enrol for American citizenship classes at the Irish International Immigrant Center
- World Mental Health Day, starting the conversation
- Employment rights in America
If heading a soccer ball seems impressive, try eighty-five headers in a row. That’s the number that Springboard Wider Horizons participant Chris Adams can claim from a recent fundraiser for America SCORES Boston.
Originally from England, Chris has been living in Belfast for thirteen years and has been playing soccer since he was six years old. Quite the talented player, he has also developed an interest in coaching. His participation in the Wider Horizons program came about through his desire to coach, do sports, and work with children. Chris is working at America SCORES for seven weeks and has spent his days refereeing games and serving as an assistant coach for elementary and middle school kids. “I wanted to do something that I know how to do,” he said, noting that he has thoroughly enjoyed his time at America SCORES.
Chris has only positive feedback about his time in Boston so far. One of his favorite activities was a softball game organized for the group by IIIC staff member Jude Clarke.
In the future, Chris hopes to continue coaching and plans to eventually go into business with his twin brother.