Irish Community Connections by Irish Community News
Save the date for the 10th anniversary Christmas Celtic Sojourn with Brian O'Donovan
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2012 at 08:17 AM
- Irish Cultural Centre upcoming events
- Festival Performer Highlight: Black 47
- Boston Irish Festival Feis
- Irish Pastoral Centre Immigration News
- Senior moments from the IPC
Celebrating its 10th Anniversary, A Christmas Celtic Sojourn with Brian O’Donovan returns to the Cutler Majestic Theatre in Boston from December 16 – 22, 2012. Featuring an ensemble cast that offers an intimate sharing of Christmas music, dancing, songs and stories, A Christmas Celtic Sojourn will celebrate the holidays in a true Celtic tradition.
For this 10th anniversary celebration, O’Donovan has assembled some of the best musicians, singers, and dancers imaginable from around the Celtic world, including Seamus Egan and his ground-breaking group Solas, who lay at the contemporary edge of traditional music. Harpist Catriona McKay and fiddler Chris Stout, who stole the show in 2010, will be back for a repeat performance. With Winifred Horan on fiddle, Natalie Haas on cello, Chico Huff on bass and Ben Wittman on percussion, spectacular instrumentals and song arrangements are expected.
Dancing is always a large part of A Christmas Celtic Sojourn and this year will be no different. Joining the show from the regular touring line-up of the Chieftains, brothers Jon and Nathan Pilatzke, and Cara Butler will bring their unique approach to Irish dance, blending in much of the drama of the Ottawa Valley in Canada where the brothers were raised. They will be joined by young dancers from the Harney Academy of Irish Dance in Walpole. Artistically directed again by Paula Plum for the 10th straight year, this promises to be one of the most exciting Christmas Celtic Sojourns concerts yet.
Brian O’Donovan is the host of the weekly radio show A Celtic Sojourn airing Saturday afternoons from 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm on 89.7 WGBH in Boston. The show regularly explores music from the Celtic countries and England. Since Celtic Pagan and Christian traditions have a very strong link to the music of this season, national broadcasts of the Christmas edition of A Celtic Sojourn over the past 25 years have proven extraordinarily popular.
The full 2012 schedule of A Christmas Celtic Sojourn is as follows:
· Saturday, December 16th, 7:30 pm, The Stockbridge Theatre, Derry, NH
· Sunday, December 16th, 1:00 pm and 6:00 pm, Cutler Majestic, Boston
· Monday, December 17th, 4:30 pm, and 8:00 pm, Shalin Liu Performance Centre, Rockport, MA
· Tuesday, December 18th, 7:30 pm, Hanover Theatre, Worcester, MA
· Wednesday, December 19th, 7:30 pm, Providence Performing Arts Centre, Providence, RI
· Thursday, December 20th, 8:00 pm, Cutler Majestic, Boston
· Friday, December 21st, 8:00 pm, Cutler Majestic, Boston
· Saturday, December 22nd, 3:00 pm and 8:00 pm, Cutler Majestic, Boston
Ticket prices range from $25 to $75, (TV/Radio Station member discounts apply.) Tickets are available at www.wgbh.org/celtic, charge by phone at 1-800/233-3123, or at the Cutler Emerson Majestic Theatre Box Office. Information on all other shows is also available online at www.wgbh.org/celtic