Irish Community Connections by Irish Community News
Irish Pastoral Centre celebrates Rev. Fr. Daniel J. Finn
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2012 at 07:01 AM
- New York Irish Center's bi-lingual winter table quiz, get out and practice your cúpla focal
- New York City’s Basket Brigade appeal for help this Thanksgiving
- Enrol for American citizenship classes at the Irish International Immigrant Center
- World Mental Health Day, starting the conversation
- Employment rights in America
|Rev. Fr. Daniel J. Finn|
When Father Finn immigrated to America at 18 years of age, from Kanturk, Co. Cork, Ireland, he had no idea that he would one day become a priest, serving the spiritual, social and cultural needs of Dorchester residents from 20 different nations including those from Ireland, Haiti, Vietnam, and Cape Verde. Because of his leadership the services provided by St. Mark Parish, where the Irish Pastoral Centre was founded in 1987, have blossomed into a vast array of outreach programs. Some of these programs include Citizenship and English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), Youth Summer Program, Faith Sharing groups, a Food Pantry, and more.
Much of this has come about from Fr. Finn's philosophy that we must bring what we have started in Church out onto the street. This is summed up best by St. Teresa of Avila saying that “Christ has no body now on earth but yours.....". Currently Fr. Dan is Pastor of St. Mark and St. Ambrose Parishes in Dorchester.