Emerald Extracts by IrishCentral Columnists
Record numbers of Irish went to the movies in 2010
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2011 at 09:27 AM
- Surfing descendents of the King of the Blasket Islands to unite in new documentary - VIDEO
- Farmers stage 24-hour prayer vigil for fine weather on Kerry-Cork border - VIDEO
- Ellen DeGeneres mocks Abercrombie & Fitch’s sizing and customer policies – VIDEO
- Students use tilt-shift photography to create toy town video of Dublin city
- New Irish stamp features Irish teen’s short story about Dublin
The top ten movies in the Irish box office took in over $5 million more than their counterparts in 2009. They took in an incredible $49 million.
James Cameron’s “Avatar” was the highest grossing film on the planet last year and it took in $8.25 million in Ireland.
Ireland has to second-biggest cinema going popular in the world with 4.5 annual cinema trips per capita. The United States are the top cinema goers with 4.3 admissions per person.
In the past decade the sale of cinema tickets in Ireland have grown by 40 percent from 12.5 million in 1999 to 17.7 in 2009.
Be the first to make a comment.
Most Popular Blog Posts
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities
- Irishman John Downey arrested for 1982 IRA...
- Michael Flatley, star of Lord of the Dance...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- The top ten things I dislike about Irish...
- 'I expect terror attacks during G8 summit'...
- Nigerian migrants send $653 million a year...
- Violent attacks on gays in New York up 70...
- Do the Irish speak a foreign language?
- Top bishops clash over excommunication of...