Emerald Extracts by IrishCentral Columnists
Plucky pensioner escapes thieves by jumping wall
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 at 12:19 AM
- Surfing descendents of the King of the Blasket Islands to unite in new documentary - VIDEO
- Farmers stage 24-hour prayer vigil for fine weather on Kerry-Cork border - VIDEO
- Ellen DeGeneres mocks Abercrombie & Fitch’s sizing and customer policies – VIDEO
- Students use tilt-shift photography to create toy town video of Dublin city
- New Irish stamp features Irish teen’s short story about Dublin
The Co.Carlow man was confronted by three masked men demanding cash in his home earlier this month.
While the thieves managed to take cash from his wallet, the elderly man refused to give the thieves the pin number for his ATM card or the keys to his son's car, which was parked outside.
He then managed to escape to a neighbor's house by running out his back door and climbing over a wall, while the thieves searched the upstairs of his home.
The man, who was alone in the house at the time, didn't suffer any injuries but was very shocked after the incident.
“Dad remained calm and very collected as they were shouting at him looking for money. They didn’t hurt him, but it makes you think how vulnerable elderly people are, especially those living alone,” his daughter told The Carlow Nationalist.
Most Popular Blog Posts
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities
- Irishman John Downey arrested for 1982 IRA...
- Michael Flatley, star of Lord of the Dance...
- Nigerian migrants send $653 million a year...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- Top bishops clash over excommunication of...
- The top ten things I dislike about Irish...
- Do the Irish speak a foreign language?
- U2’s Bono spills on American politicians...
- Calls for Irish Justice Minister to resign...