Emerald Extracts by IrishCentral Columnists
Mother prepares for freezing annual Christmas Day swim
Posted on Friday, December 24, 2010 at 12:49 AM
- Fan photos show Fungi the dolphin in Dingle has a new companion
- Hurling like you’ve never seen, Colm Ó Méalóid freestyles (VIDEO)
- New York woman spends $25,000 flying horses to Donegal for retirement
- Boston bomb survivor Jane Richard sings national anthem at Fenway Park
- Bill Clinton snapped with Bono’s shades and Rory McIlroy in Dublin
Niki Mc Carthy's photo appeared in the Irish Independent. She's pictured opposite with his children Mischa and Oscar.
The mother-of-two has organized the charity swim at at Dundag Bay in Muckross Lake, Killarney, for 11am, with all proceeds going to AWARE, a charity that fights depression.
Meanwhile around the country, Christmas Day swimmers are being warned to be careful when going into the water.
The chairman of the Irish Water Safety, Frank Nolan warned participants: "The cold winter seas can cause 'cold shock' with hypothermia setting in within minutes.
"Many people attending Christmas charity swims have found that they are left without sufficient strength to climb out of the water due to the cold.
"If the sea conditions are bad then the charity swim should be canceled," he added.
Most Popular Blog Posts
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Offensive NFL sign outside restaurant just...
- Baby dies in horror birth at Belfast hospital...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm