Emerald Extracts by IrishCentral Columnists
Lazy Irish postman leaves 2,500 letters in car
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2011 at 06:17 AM
- Ellen DeGeneres mocks Abercrombie & Fitch’s sizing and customer policies – VIDEO
- Students use tilt-shift photography to create toy town video of Dublin city
- New Irish stamp features Irish teen’s short story about Dublin
- The world’s smallest cinema fits into an old phone box in Malin, Donegal - VIDEO
- ‘Star Trek into Darkness’ stars Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto attempt to speak Irish - VIDEO
An Irish court has heard how a postman failed to deliver thousands of letters out of “pure laziness”.
Oliver Ennis (27) was given a suspended sentence at Dublin Criminal Court, for stashing undelivered letters in his trunk, so he could clock off from his shift early, the Evening Herald reports.
The Dubliner pleaded not guilty to "detaining and delaying" more than 2,500 items of post at the Shelbourne Road Sorting Office between December 1, 2008, and July 8, 2010.
More Christmas related stories on IrishCentral
Another lonely Christmas for illegal Irish trapped in the United States
100 year old letter to Santa Claus found in Dublin home
Judge Nolan said: "It would never have struck me that this was a criminal offence until it was brought to my attention.
"And thanks be to God it doesn't apply to barristers when they're supposed to send letters," he said.
He sentenced him to 18-months for which he suspended two years.
According to police at the trial, Ennis told them that if a letter was difficult to deliver, he would just keep it in his car. He said his only excuse was "pure laziness".
Most Popular Blog Posts
- Top bishops clash over excommunication of...
- Irish leader delivers powerful commencement...
- Right-wing shock jock Pete Santilli slammed...
- Enda Kenny, not the Catholic Church, speaks...
- Computer giant Apple avoiding $25 billion...
- Guinness summit? Obama and Putin to enjoy...
- Nigerian migrants send $653 million a year...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- The top ten things I dislike about Irish...
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing