Emerald Extracts by IrishCentral Columnists
Is healthy living being stuffed down our throats? What's happened to proper bacon?
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011 at 09:07 AM
- Australian court hears supermarket's 'freshly made bread' imported from Ireland
- Kickstarter project launched for Irish dance video game featuring Fusion Fighters - VIDEO
- Dubliners jump off restaurant rooftop into the River Liffey - VIDEO
- Stamps celebrating 50th anniversary of John F Kennedy's visit to Ireland revealed - PHOTOS
- 3 kittens, 3 ducklings and a mother cat called Della - more video of the adorable animals from Offaly
Do you agree?-
I picked up a packet of cream crackers in the shop and it said "now with 40% less fat".
Now,how the hell can such an itty bitty little biscuity wafer contain even 1% fat, not to mind 40% of 100%?The mind boggles.
It's everywhere now, this obsession with not eating anything with a bit of juicy fat in it. And I don't like it.
"It'll go straight to your heart, "my butcher admonished, after I'd winced when he neatly trimmed off a delicious strip of fat from the sirloin he was preparing for my basket. How often does one have to tell people that I like fat on my meat, and to let me worry, or not, about the "damage" my food is doing to me as it goes down a treat?
I love fatty bacon, for example, yet there is this crusade going on which seeks to deprive me of carrying off a chunk of it from the supermarket, because all the sealed wrappings announce triumphantly that the fat is reduced, curtailed or eliminated entirely.
War on fat. That's not what I need. I want full fat meat - butter - milk - yogurt - cheese - bread - and the rest.
It's all that bloody green-living caper, isn't it - with guff about meat not being good for you if an animal is not fed organically but should instead look like a size zero model, and stuff in the ground is only grown properly if it's treated with full fat excrement.
This is the way of the world now and it's a pain in the neck. Just let me buy the grub I've always loved before the food fascists got their way. Don't tell me what to eat, and I won't tell you to mind your own damn business. Oh, for the hairy eggs and bacon of old.
And I want sugar to be hard core, and not some wishy-washy imposter posing as the real thing.
Is this too much to ask, for feck's sake?
Most Popular Blog Posts
- Good Morning America says Sasha and Malia...
- Former church spokesman criticised for using...
- Sinn Fein deputy leader speaks out against...
- Michelle Obama and daughters trace their...
- Dating website for ‘homosensible’ Catholic...
- Michelle Obama and daughters visit Glendalough.
- President Obama’s visit to North comes at...
- Daily Mail unloads on 'drunken young' Paddys...
- American dance teacher and Ulster husband...
- Obama under fire for turning G8 summit into...