Irish surfers could fetch $65,000 for ball of whale puke
- Fan photos show Fungi the dolphin in Dingle has a new companion
- Hurling like you’ve never seen, Colm Ó Méalóid freestyles (VIDEO)
- New York woman spends $25,000 flying horses to Donegal for retirement
- Boston bomb survivor Jane Richard sings national anthem at Fenway Park
- Bill Clinton snapped with Bono’s shades and Rory McIlroy in Dublin
| Alan Davey (38) and Brian Miller, both from Co Clare could earn big
with a ball of whale vomite (Photo: Star)
Irish News Blog
, Irish News
, Offbeat Irish
Two Irish surfers are hopeful they can cash in on a rare lump of whale vomit that could be worth up to 50,000 euro.
The Irish Daily Star reports that Alan Davey (38) and Brian Miller, both from Co Clare, found the hardened lump of vomit on the beach in Lahinch.
“Who knows what we could get — we have our fingers crossed,” Alan said last night.
The vomit could contain a substance called ambergris which is produced in the digestive system of sperm whales. The substance is used by high-end perfumes from houses such as Chanel and Lanvin to fix scent to human skin.
“One drop of ambergris can change a perfume,” Claire Payne, an aroma therapist and perfumer told ABC News. “It’s what we call an animalic smell, different to the citrusy or fruity scents. It’s like musk, and we use it in several of our fragrances,” she added.
Most Popular Blog Posts
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
- Bill O’Reilly slams Nelson Mandela as an...
- Irish students told “No Irish Need Apply”...
- Top ten negative terms used to describe Irish...