Emerald Extracts by IrishCentral Columnists
First US movie filmed on location the 1910 "A Lad from Old Ireland" - VIDEO
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 11:32 AM
- Surfing descendents of the King of the Blasket Islands to unite in new documentary - VIDEO
- Farmers stage 24-hour prayer vigil for fine weather on Kerry-Cork border - VIDEO
- Ellen DeGeneres mocks Abercrombie & Fitch’s sizing and customer policies – VIDEO
- Students use tilt-shift photography to create toy town video of Dublin city
- New Irish stamp features Irish teen’s short story about Dublin
|Still from "A Lad from Old Ireland"|
In August 1910, the Kalem Company of New York City sent director Sidney Olcott (who also stars in the movie) and a film crew to Ireland. When it was released in November 2010 it was billed as "Kalem’s Great Trans-Atlantic Drama."
The one-reel movie tells the story of a boy who emigrated to America to escape the desperate poverty of Ireland. After becoming successful in his adopted country he returns to retrieve his sweetheart just as her destitute family is being forced off their land.
Imdb lists the filming locations of "A Lad from Old Ireland" as Beaufort, County Kerry and
New York, USA..
Here's a clip of the movie:
More offbeat stories from IrishCentral
Obama got the love from Irish audiences he couldn't get in America
Desperate Irish women turn to working in sex industry as economy tanks
Most Popular Blog Posts
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities
- Irishman John Downey arrested for 1982 IRA...
- Michael Flatley, star of Lord of the Dance...
- Nigerian migrants send $653 million a year...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- The top ten things I dislike about Irish...
- Top bishops clash over excommunication of...
- Do the Irish speak a foreign language?
- 'I expect terror attacks during G8 summit'...
- U2’s Bono spills on American politicians...