Emerald Extracts by IrishCentral Columnists
First US movie filmed on location the 1910 "A Lad from Old Ireland" - VIDEO
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 11:32 AM
- Fan photos show Fungi the dolphin in Dingle has a new companion
- Hurling like you’ve never seen, Colm Ó Méalóid freestyles (VIDEO)
- New York woman spends $25,000 flying horses to Donegal for retirement
- Boston bomb survivor Jane Richard sings national anthem at Fenway Park
- Bill Clinton snapped with Bono’s shades and Rory McIlroy in Dublin
|Still from "A Lad from Old Ireland"|
In August 1910, the Kalem Company of New York City sent director Sidney Olcott (who also stars in the movie) and a film crew to Ireland. When it was released in November 2010 it was billed as "Kalem’s Great Trans-Atlantic Drama."
The one-reel movie tells the story of a boy who emigrated to America to escape the desperate poverty of Ireland. After becoming successful in his adopted country he returns to retrieve his sweetheart just as her destitute family is being forced off their land.
Imdb lists the filming locations of "A Lad from Old Ireland" as Beaufort, County Kerry and
New York, USA..
Here's a clip of the movie:
More offbeat stories from IrishCentral
Obama got the love from Irish audiences he couldn't get in America
Desperate Irish women turn to working in sex industry as economy tanks
Most Popular Blog Posts
- Megyn Kelly says Santa and Jesus are white,...
- The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-p
- Irish outrage over NY Times pigeon-eating...
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Bah! Humbug! The ten worst things about Christm
- Spanish judge slams Ryanair’s sexist air...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Engaged couple fired by Catholic school for...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- How the Irish celebrate Christmas has changed...