Emerald Extracts by IrishCentral Columnists
'Father Ted' has nothing on reality - Irishman donates bucket as memorial for Pope’s visit
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2012 at 06:28 AM
- Fan photos show Fungi the dolphin in Dingle has a new companion
- Hurling like you’ve never seen, Colm Ó Méalóid freestyles (VIDEO)
- New York woman spends $25,000 flying horses to Donegal for retirement
- Boston bomb survivor Jane Richard sings national anthem at Fenway Park
- Bill Clinton snapped with Bono’s shades and Rory McIlroy in Dublin
|John Joe McCarthy with his bucket (Photo: Denis Boyle)|
The South Star reported that John Joe McCarthy, a Limerick pensioner, has mounted a plastic 12-inch high bucket on marble, and plans to present it to his former school as a memorial to Pope John Paul II’s visit to Ireland 30 years ago.
McCarthy told the paper “I used the bucket to carry my provisions for the day – my lunch, my camera and my binoculars.” He also used the bucket as a step to steal some choice shots of the Pope passing by.
He now plans to make a presentation of the bucket, along with a note, to the Ahiohill National School.
“I originally wanted to have an inscription put on the bucket, but because it is made of plastic this could not be done. Instead I have written out the background to the story and laminated it. I also have a marble slab on which to display the bucket.”
Most Popular Blog Posts
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist...
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
- Top ten negative terms used to describe Irish...
- Bill O’Reilly slams Nelson Mandela as an...
- Irish students told “No Irish Need Apply”...