Emerald Extracts by IrishCentral Columnists
'Father Ted' has nothing on reality - Irishman donates bucket as memorial for Pope’s visit
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2012 at 06:28 AM
- Irish Eurovision star Ryan Dolan’s song enters charts in 17 countries, including Australia - VIDEO
- Surfing descendents of the King of the Blasket Islands to unite in new documentary - VIDEO
- Farmers stage 24-hour prayer vigil for fine weather on Kerry-Cork border - VIDEO
- Ellen DeGeneres mocks Abercrombie & Fitch’s sizing and customer policies – VIDEO
- Students use tilt-shift photography to create toy town video of Dublin city
|John Joe McCarthy with his bucket (Photo: Denis Boyle)|
The South Star reported that John Joe McCarthy, a Limerick pensioner, has mounted a plastic 12-inch high bucket on marble, and plans to present it to his former school as a memorial to Pope John Paul II’s visit to Ireland 30 years ago.
McCarthy told the paper “I used the bucket to carry my provisions for the day – my lunch, my camera and my binoculars.” He also used the bucket as a step to steal some choice shots of the Pope passing by.
He now plans to make a presentation of the bucket, along with a note, to the Ahiohill National School.
“I originally wanted to have an inscription put on the bucket, but because it is made of plastic this could not be done. Instead I have written out the background to the story and laminated it. I also have a marble slab on which to display the bucket.”
Most Popular Blog Posts
- Government minister calls for investigation...
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities
- Irishman John Downey arrested for 1982 IRA...
- Amnesty International says Ireland’s abortion...
- New book ‘John F. Kennedy - Among the Germans’.
- Top bishops clash over excommunication of...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- Irish finance minister says US Senate are...
- Calls for Irish Justice Minister to resign...
- Nigerian migrants send $653 million a year...