Emerald Extracts by IrishCentral Columnists
Donegal family set to launch their own brand of soda
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2011 at 08:02 AM
- Fan photos show Fungi the dolphin in Dingle has a new companion
- Hurling like you’ve never seen, Colm Ó Méalóid freestyles (VIDEO)
- New York woman spends $25,000 flying horses to Donegal for retirement
- Boston bomb survivor Jane Richard sings national anthem at Fenway Park
- Bill Clinton snapped with Bono’s shades and Rory McIlroy in Dublin
McDaid’s Football Special is a cola-style beverage which comes from Ramelton, a small town in Donegal. The owner, Edward McDaid plans on selling the homebrew nationwide.
"It is a strange product in many senses. Whatever it is about it, it seems to hit a memory button and conjure up pleasant memories of childhood, even with people who haven't tasted it before," he told the Irish Independent.
His father and his uncle developed the recipe over 50 years ago.
"My father was a founder member of the Swilly Rovers Football Club in Ramelton and they were trying to come up with a soft drink that could be put into the cup after a win, instead of whiskey.
"The fruit syrup flavors that are used are all fairly common and shouldn't belong together but they do," he said.
McDaid is currently adding a marketing and sales component to his company and is aiming to have the product available nationwide in June.
Most Popular Blog Posts
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Irish drugs mule to escape full trial and...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Top Christmas Irish ads that will be bring...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...