Emerald Extracts by IrishCentral Columnists
Donegal family set to launch their own brand of soda
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2011 at 08:02 AM
- Irish Eurovision star Ryan Dolan’s song enters charts in 17 countries, including Australia - VIDEO
- Surfing descendents of the King of the Blasket Islands to unite in new documentary - VIDEO
- Farmers stage 24-hour prayer vigil for fine weather on Kerry-Cork border - VIDEO
- Ellen DeGeneres mocks Abercrombie & Fitch’s sizing and customer policies – VIDEO
- Students use tilt-shift photography to create toy town video of Dublin city
McDaid’s Football Special is a cola-style beverage which comes from Ramelton, a small town in Donegal. The owner, Edward McDaid plans on selling the homebrew nationwide.
"It is a strange product in many senses. Whatever it is about it, it seems to hit a memory button and conjure up pleasant memories of childhood, even with people who haven't tasted it before," he told the Irish Independent.
His father and his uncle developed the recipe over 50 years ago.
"My father was a founder member of the Swilly Rovers Football Club in Ramelton and they were trying to come up with a soft drink that could be put into the cup after a win, instead of whiskey.
"The fruit syrup flavors that are used are all fairly common and shouldn't belong together but they do," he said.
McDaid is currently adding a marketing and sales component to his company and is aiming to have the product available nationwide in June.
Most Popular Blog Posts
- Boston immigration center apologizes to young...
- Irishman John Downey arrested for 1982 IRA...
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities
- Justice Minister hangs on as Shattergate...
- Amnesty International says Ireland’s abortion...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- Government minister calls for investigation...
- Sleazy secrets and the American Dream of...
- ‘Quiet Man’ star Maureen O’Hara says John...
- New book ‘John F. Kennedy - Among the Germans’.