Emerald Extracts by IrishCentral Columnists
Cannabis pill could be legalized in Ireland
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2010 at 10:28 AM
- Fan photos show Fungi the dolphin in Dingle has a new companion
- Hurling like you’ve never seen, Colm Ó Méalóid freestyles (VIDEO)
- New York woman spends $25,000 flying horses to Donegal for retirement
- Boston bomb survivor Jane Richard sings national anthem at Fenway Park
- Bill Clinton snapped with Bono’s shades and Rory McIlroy in Dublin
While speaking to the parliament she also warned that "As cannabis is the drug which is most abused in Ireland, I am reluctant to loosen the controls on its use."
She also acknowledged the claims that are being made in relation to the health benefits of cannabis-based medicinal products for certain patients.
Labour Party, Joe Costello, said that her response had been contradictory as
Ms Harney was responding to a question by Labour Deputy Joe Costello, who had asked the minister if she would reconsider her decision not to allow cannabis-based drugs to be used for the medical treatment of multiple sclerosis sufferers and other patients.
He asked if her attention had been "drawn to the fact that such drugs are legally prescribed in other countries".
Following the minister's response, Deputy Costello told the Herald: "Mary Harney's reply to my parliamentary question is somewhat contradictory. On one hand she states that cannabis and cannabis-based products are considered as having no medicinal use.
"At the same time she is aware that cannabis-based medical products may be legally prescribed in other countries and she is seeking expert advice on whether or not to amend the Misuse of Drugs Act to allow for the use of cannabis-based medical products."
Most Popular Blog Posts
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Baby dies in horror birth at Belfast hospital...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas