A sign of the times in Ireland - backpack for sale 'ideal for traveling or emigrating' - PHOTO
- Fan photos show Fungi the dolphin in Dingle has a new companion
- Hurling like you’ve never seen, Colm Ó Méalóid freestyles (VIDEO)
- New York woman spends $25,000 flying horses to Donegal for retirement
- Boston bomb survivor Jane Richard sings national anthem at Fenway Park
- Bill Clinton snapped with Bono’s shades and Rory McIlroy in Dublin
|Backpack spotted at a popular outdoors store on Mary Street, Dublin|
Irish News Blog
, Irish immigration
, Irish Economy
A sad sign of the times, this back page was spotted for sale outside one of North Dublin City Center's most popular camping stores. The sign attached reads "idea for traveling or emigrating".
As of the end of 2012 emigration from Ireland was at levels not seen since the Famine. The Irish Independent reported that 87,000 people left the country in the year to April 2012. The paper said more than 200 people a day emigrated.
Although the Irish government reports that unemployment has remained around the 14 percent mark in Ireland they have no factored in the 300,000 plus Irish who have left the country to start a new life aboard in the past three years.
Source: Broadsheet.ie, photo by Michael McLoughlin.
Most Popular Blog Posts
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Top Christmas Irish ads that will be bring...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.