Emerald Extracts by IrishCentral Columnists
Navy beats Notre Dame in the ‘Battle of the Mascots’ - Fighting Irish Leprechauns and Bill The Goat square off - VIDEO
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2012 at 06:18 AM
- Surfing descendents of the King of the Blasket Islands to unite in new documentary - VIDEO
- Farmers stage 24-hour prayer vigil for fine weather on Kerry-Cork border - VIDEO
- Ellen DeGeneres mocks Abercrombie & Fitch’s sizing and customer policies – VIDEO
- Students use tilt-shift photography to create toy town video of Dublin city
- New Irish stamp features Irish teen’s short story about Dublin
|University of Notre Dame Leprechaun|
Fighting Irish Leprechauns and Bill The Goat square off before the big game in Ireland
A cute video has surfaced on the USNA Alumni Association and Foundation Youtube channel of an assembly of devious Notre Dame Leprechauns who attempt to stop Navy’s Bill the Goat from delivering the special game ball in a special green army sack marked “Ireland or bust” to the emerald isle for this weekend’s much hyped Notre Dame and Navy match up.
The leprechauns’ wicked trap consisting of a handmade “Welcome to Ireland” sign tricks Bill into believing he has prematurely reached the Ireland. They then deviously steal the golden ball from the beleaguered hairy goat and as per tradition stash it in a pot of gold. Forgetting never to mess with a person (or animal) in this case in the armed forces, Bill finds the not so well hidden ball, retrieves it, and shrugs off the leprechauns who try and tackle him in vain. The Navy mascot prevails over the leprechauns as the Navy Midshipmen hope to do against Notre Dame Ireland on Saturday.
It is ironic that Notre Dame in search of an animal mascot before adopting its current fighting Irishman in 1965 considered using a goat. Notre Dame could have possibly been the “Fighting Goats” and given Bill the Goat a fair fight.
See more: Fighting Irish
Most Popular Blog Posts
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities
- Irishman John Downey arrested for 1982 IRA...
- Michael Flatley, star of Lord of the Dance...
- Nigerian migrants send $653 million a year...
- The top ten things I dislike about Irish...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- Top bishops clash over excommunication of...
- Do the Irish speak a foreign language?
- 'I expect terror attacks during G8 summit'...
- U2’s Bono spills on American politicians...