Why I'm heading for Winter Olympics gold in curling in 2014
Posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 at 11:42 AM
- Senator Schumer says Irish deserve a separate deal for visas because of 1965 shutout - Says “Schumer visas” set to give Ireland 10,500 visas a year for the future
- Prospects for immigration reform bill are 50-50 say the pols privately - House seen as major obstacle as Senate gets closer to a vote
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing on Pat Finucane death - New hearings told how informer was murdered before he could give evidence
- U.S. Tourism Ireland chief Joe Byrne says goodbye and hello again to massive acclaim - Popular Carlow native led tourist figures to Ireland to historic heights
- Cardinal Sean O’Malley reneged on Boston College commencement deal say Irish sources - Irish government said to be furious over statement condemning Irish Prime Minister Enda Kenny
I want to become an Olympian so I'm thinking of taking up curling.
Yes, I know I'm, a bit old, mid fifties and all that, but after watching the curling on TV last night I think I can still hack it in four years time.
Basically you throw or glide something that looks like an iron or a kettle lid along the ice hoping to land close to a disc object a few hundred feet away.
It is horseshoes for Olympians, except there is more skill in horseshoes.
There's more. There are two sweepers, who clean the ice with brooms in front of the kettle lid as it flows down towards the ice. That's why my wife would be an excellent Olympian too.
She is always complaining about sweeping up after me -- now we can do it to win gold together.
There are lots of silly sports at which you can win Olympic medals, but curling takes the biscuit.
The silver lining is that I can still dream of being an Olympian three decades after I reached the height of my athletic prowess when my friend and I combined to win the three legged race at our school sports day for former pupils.
Now if they ever have three legged curling I'm even more interested
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing
- Bill O'Reilly claims the Obama administration...
- Census shows more Catholics than Protestants...
- Enda Kenny rejects Dublin Archbishop's claims...
- Horse disemboweled and sliced open in horrific.
- Young people worst affected by Ireland’s...
- New reports suggest Robert F Kennedy’s wife...
- Gerry Adams accuses British government of...
- 'You attack one Muslim, you attack all Muslims'
- Senator Schumer says Irish deserve a separate...