What those Irish expressions really mean this St.Patrick's Day
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2011 at 04:27 AM
- Senator Schumer says Irish deserve a separate deal for visas because of 1965 shutout - Says “Schumer visas” set to give Ireland 10,500 visas a year for the future
- Prospects for immigration reform bill are 50-50 say the pols privately - House seen as major obstacle as Senate gets closer to a vote
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing on Pat Finucane death - New hearings told how informer was murdered before he could give evidence
- U.S. Tourism Ireland chief Joe Byrne says goodbye and hello again to massive acclaim - Popular Carlow native led tourist figures to Ireland to historic heights
- Cardinal Sean O’Malley reneged on Boston College commencement deal say Irish sources - Irish government said to be furious over statement condemning Irish Prime Minister Enda Kenny
Its that time of year again when everything Irish is in and everyone throws around Irish expressions.
But what do those expressions mean and where do they come from?
Here's a user's guide:
May the Road Rise to Meet You-- From the Gaelic, Go N-eiri an bothar leat, which means may success be with you.
Top of the Morning: Hollywood invention, never used in Ireland.
And the rest of the day to yourself --Also Hollywood.
Slainte: means Good health ---Slainte is the Gaelic word for health.
Slan meaning farewell Slan is the Gaelic word for safe so it means keep safe.
Erin go Bragh -- Means in Gaelic "Ireland forever."
A Hundred Thousand welcomes -- from the Gaelic Cead Mile Failte which means literally that.
Dia is Muire Dhuit: Means hello in Gaelic, literally means "God and Mary with you."
Dia is Mhuire Duit agus Padraig; How the person responds,"God and Mary and St. Patrick with you."
Pog Mo Thoin --Yes it means what you think it does, Gaelic for kiss my ...
La Fheile Padraig brea dhibh go leir -- Have a great St. Pat's everyone
- Horse disemboweled and sliced open in horrific.
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing
- Senator Schumer says Irish deserve a separate...
- Irish footballer under investigation after...
- Bill O'Reilly claims the Obama administration...
- Irish politician refuses to back down on...
- Enda Kenny rejects Dublin Archbishop's claims...
- Census shows more Catholics than Protestants...
- Gerry Adams accuses British government of...
- 'You attack one Muslim, you attack all Muslims'