The day Gerry Ryan made me swear on national radio
Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 09:21 AM
- Profile in Irish fighting courage - Heffernan’s campaign for respite care for families dealing with fatal rare illnesses such as Batten’s disease
- Senator Schumer says Irish deserve a separate deal for visas because of 1965 shutout - Says “Schumer visas” set to give Ireland 10,500 visas a year for the future
- Prospects for immigration reform bill are 50-50 say the pols privately - House seen as major obstacle as Senate gets closer to a vote
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing on Pat Finucane death - New hearings told how informer was murdered before he could give evidence
- U.S. Tourism Ireland chief Joe Byrne says goodbye and hello again to massive acclaim - Popular Carlow native led tourist figures to Ireland to historic heights
Remember August 14th 2003? The big black out in New York and the East Coast when all the electricity from here to Maine suddenly disappeared?
It was also the day Gerry Ryan made me swear on air on before a national Irish audience on his show.
It was a wonderful little sleight of hand.
I was sitting in my darkened apartment at about 5 a.m, power running out on my cell phone, hot as hell,unable to sleep cursing the blackness when suddenly the phone rang.
"Niall, It's Gerry Ryan, how is everything over there.'
F.. awful"Gerry I said going on to complain bitterly in quite colorful language about the blackout, the dark, the infernal heat.
I thought, of course, he was going to say can you come on air and talk about it.
Turned out I was on air.
At the time I was a little annoyed, but it was a brilliant set up I thought later, catch someone as experienced in media as me in an unguarded moment, letting off steam.
I'd say he did that a lot. That was one reason why Gerry Ryan was so good as a broadcaster-- the capacity to surprise.
- Planned Parenthood support for Irish leader...
- Gay porn priest is appointed to new parish...
- Ten best Irish lies — fabulous fibs that...
- Horse disemboweled and sliced open in horrific.
- Delphi Lodge takes responsibility for turning...
- Irish politician refuses to back down on...
- Aussie outlaw Ned Kelly is the center of...
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing
- Senator Schumer says Irish deserve a separate...
- New reports suggest Robert F Kennedy’s wife...