Slainte and what the Irish words means on St.Patricks Day
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2011 at 09:55 AM
- Profile in Irish fighting courage - Heffernan’s campaign for respite care for families dealing with fatal rare illnesses such as Batten’s disease
- Senator Schumer says Irish deserve a separate deal for visas because of 1965 shutout - Says “Schumer visas” set to give Ireland 10,500 visas a year for the future
- Prospects for immigration reform bill are 50-50 say the pols privately - House seen as major obstacle as Senate gets closer to a vote
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing on Pat Finucane death - New hearings told how informer was murdered before he could give evidence
- U.S. Tourism Ireland chief Joe Byrne says goodbye and hello again to massive acclaim - Popular Carlow native led tourist figures to Ireland to historic heights
Slainte is the most used Irish expression in America our recent reader survey discovered.
Slainte, meaning Good Health' is an ancient Irish expression that derives from the word Slan, meaning safe.
It is used in different contexts, usually when downing a pint of Guinness, you say 'Slainte',before you begun drinking it.
It means literally good health.
There are many other expression that use slainte, such as 'Is fearr an slainte na an tainte" "health is better than wealth" in Irish
Another expression is 'Go dte tu slan" may you go safe which is what you say when someone is leaving on a journey.
Slainte na bfear' 'Good health to the men' is another derivative , which is used when drinking in the company of men.
Slainte na mbean, is the opposite when drinking with women!
Slan is another Gaelic term that sounds like Slainte but has a different meaning, It means goodbye.
Slan go deo, means 'goodbye for ever'
- Top bishops clash over excommunication of...
- Irish leader delivers powerful commencement...
- Right-wing shock jock Pete Santilli slammed...
- Computer giant Apple avoiding $25 billion...
- Enda Kenny, not the Catholic Church, speaks...
- Guinness summit? Obama and Putin to enjoy...
- Nigerian migrants send $653 million a year...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- The top ten things I dislike about Irish...
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing