Rory McIlroy an example of how Republicans can succeed in 2012 says top GOP strategist
Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2011 at 07:59 AM
- President Obama’s visit to North comes at a critical time for peace process - Hopes that he can help stop slow slide into the dark side
- Boston Irish Immigration Center continues to lie about their role in turning woman in to State Department
- Why no effort to repair damage to Irish Famine memorial in New York nearly one year after? - Car slammed into memorial and ugly plywood and metal barricades still mark the site
- How sports helped defeat the 'No Irish Need Apply' racism in America - Top baseball exec Tim Brosnan tells Irish Sports 50 how Irish served as example
- Sandy scourged Rockaways is on the mend with a little help from community spirit and perseverance
Rory McIlroy as a poster boy for the Republican race for president in 2012?
That is exactly what top Republican strategist Matthew Dowd is advocating in National Journal this week.
Dowd writes "Before Rory McIlroy’s triumph fades in our memories, it’s worth considering the lessons the young Irishman’s U.S. Open victory offers for the 2012 presidential race.
"As he headed into the U.S. Open weekend, McIlroy explained that his strategy was to set an overall goal, do his best, play things out in small segments on the course (in his mind, three holes or so at a time), and not pay much attention to the leaderboard. This strategy served him well since he was able to hold the Open trophy after setting tournament scoring records.
"His approach could be a model for Republicans who want to take on President Obama in the 2012 general election. Setting a goal and then playing it out day by day is also great advice for living our lives."
Seems like Rory is taking on magical powers when it comes to the US media and political pundits!
Dowd does not stop there however even bringing McIlroy's mother into the campaign;
"Take the race in small segments as McIlroy did, and know that doing well in those segments adds up to achieving the overall goal.
"The nomination process for Republicans will be determined by many factors. But the election candidate who approaches the contest as McIlroy did is likely to end up playing in the final twosome in the fall of 2012 against President Obama. In the process, the election candidates should stay grounded and not take themselves too seriously.
" As McIlroy’s mom reportedly said to him over and over again growing up, and as I heard in my Irish household many, many times: “Get over yourself.”
There you have it ---McIlroy for 2012!
- Michelle Obama and daughters trace their...
- President Obama’s visit to North comes at...
- Former church spokesman criticised for using...
- Sinn Fein deputy leader speaks out against...
- Body of Irish immigrant tossed in medical...
- Daily Mail unloads on 'drunken young' Paddys...
- Irish kids receive almost $700 in Holy Communio
- Shock as Irish priest praises Prime Minister’s.
- North’s Minister for Finance accuses Republic...
- The Irish are known for being friendly to...