Obama should send Bill Clinton to Middle East to solve Israeli/Palestinian issue
- Mario Cuomo and Mike Dowling dazzle at Irish America lunch
- Recalling Irish America’s greatest moment: President Clinton’s first visit to Belfast
- Inquiries into pre-Good Friday Agreement Northern Ireland crimes must end
- “Philomena” a must-see movie that breaks your heart (VIDEO)
- What JFK’s America was really like in November 1963 - Time capsule of New York Daily News paper of the day
President Obama needs to send Clinton to the Middle East -- and no, I don't mean Hillary Clinton.
Following the failure of the George Mitchell intervention, Obama badly need to have a new Middle East policy in place otherwise he risks the US becoming irrelevant.
It has been clear for some time that neither the Israeli or Palestinian leadership was ever committed to what George Mitchell was doing.
The difference in Northern Ireland was that Mitchell had leaders like Tony Blair and Bertie Ahern utterly committed to his strategy as well as Sinn Fein and Ulster Unionist leaders.
Without that goodwill, George Mitchell might just as well have sacrificed a goat and hoped for more success.
Bill Clinton would be a different kettle of fish however.
No one carries more authority, including Obama in the Middle East.
He is regarded in both camps as the man who barely missed making an historic peace towards the end of his presidency, thwarted in the end by Yasser Arafat who would not make the final leap.
Clinton would likely relish another opportunity to settle the conflict for once and for all.
With Obama's stock rising domestically after the bin Laden killing it is time for him to really focus on Middle East peace, key to the whole region, as his next Mission Impossible.
And Bill Clinton is the only man who can achieve that impossible goal.
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Offensive NFL sign outside restaurant just...
- The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-p
- Baby dies in horror birth at Belfast hospital...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas