Obama should send Bill Clinton to Middle East to solve Israeli/Palestinian issue
- Profile in Irish fighting courage - Heffernan’s campaign for respite care for families dealing with fatal rare illnesses such as Batten’s disease
- Senator Schumer says Irish deserve a separate deal for visas because of 1965 shutout - Says “Schumer visas” set to give Ireland 10,500 visas a year for the future
- Prospects for immigration reform bill are 50-50 say the pols privately - House seen as major obstacle as Senate gets closer to a vote
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing on Pat Finucane death - New hearings told how informer was murdered before he could give evidence
- U.S. Tourism Ireland chief Joe Byrne says goodbye and hello again to massive acclaim - Popular Carlow native led tourist figures to Ireland to historic heights
President Obama needs to send Clinton to the Middle East -- and no, I don't mean Hillary Clinton.
Following the failure of the George Mitchell intervention, Obama badly need to have a new Middle East policy in place otherwise he risks the US becoming irrelevant.
It has been clear for some time that neither the Israeli or Palestinian leadership was ever committed to what George Mitchell was doing.
The difference in Northern Ireland was that Mitchell had leaders like Tony Blair and Bertie Ahern utterly committed to his strategy as well as Sinn Fein and Ulster Unionist leaders.
Without that goodwill, George Mitchell might just as well have sacrificed a goat and hoped for more success.
Bill Clinton would be a different kettle of fish however.
No one carries more authority, including Obama in the Middle East.
He is regarded in both camps as the man who barely missed making an historic peace towards the end of his presidency, thwarted in the end by Yasser Arafat who would not make the final leap.
Clinton would likely relish another opportunity to settle the conflict for once and for all.
With Obama's stock rising domestically after the bin Laden killing it is time for him to really focus on Middle East peace, key to the whole region, as his next Mission Impossible.
And Bill Clinton is the only man who can achieve that impossible goal.
- Top bishops clash over excommunication of...
- Irish leader delivers powerful commencement...
- Computer giant Apple avoiding $25 billion...
- Right-wing shock jock Pete Santilli slammed...
- Enda Kenny, not the Catholic Church, speaks...
- Guinness summit? Obama and Putin to enjoy...
- Nigerian migrants send $653 million a year...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- The top ten things I dislike about Irish...
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing