Obama lacks the political courage to call Mubarak what he is -- an evil dictator
- Inquiries into pre-Good Friday Agreement Northern Ireland crimes must end
- “Philomena” a must-see movie that breaks your heart (VIDEO)
- What JFK’s America was really like in November 1963 - Time capsule of New York Daily News paper of the day
- An afternoon with Chuck Feeney, Irish America’s greatest hero
- How the Gaelic Players Association has saved lives in Ireland
As one of the pivotal moments in recent history unfolds in Egypt President Obama is acting like a cat got his tongue.
Instead of speaking out forthrightly against the terror unleashed by the Mubarak mobs he has equivocated and calibrated every response.
Instead of telling Mubarak that after 30 years of misrule he should go, our president uses weasel words and qualifiers.
Where is George W Bush when you need him? At least he called a spade a spade
Or Ronald Reagan telling Gorbachev to tear down the Berlin Wall?
Or John F. Kennedy proclaiming Ich Bin Ein Berliner ?
If ever there was a moment to stand up for democracy, for people over the powerful it is now.
I thought that was vaguely the platform that Mubarakobama was elected on but clearly not one he cares to deliver on.
Sure there have been fine words and wonderful promises, but in his first foreign policy crisis he is pussyfooting around like a tenderfoot.
Sure there are regional issues, sure there is the long term to consider but how bad could it be to stand up for democracy when millions are on the street pleading for their chance at it?
He would be be an instant hero on the Arab street and reverse much of the damage done for decades in the Arab world.
But Obama is curiously mute lacking the bigness to overcome the whispers from advisers not to call a spade a spade and convince him it is all too complicated.
Churchill called out the Nazis, john F Kennedy and Ronald Reagan the communists in Berlin.
Who will call out the Egyptian dictator?
Alas, it seems not this American president.
More's the shame.
Ich Bin Ein Mubaraker .
- Notre Dame sues federal government again...
- Irish university suspends Legion of Mary...
- Caroline Kennedy “selfie” in Japan reveals...
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Top ten worst ever Irish Christmas gifts,...
- Pope Francis calls capitalism “new tyranny”...
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis'...
- 4,000 Irish social welfare letters encourage...
- Smithwick inquiry finds Irish police may...