Muslim leaders need to incite less, understand more -- Failure to comprehend West means they lose all support
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2012 at 08:43 AM
- President Obama’s visit to North comes at a critical time for peace process - Hopes that he can help stop slow slide into the dark side
- Boston Irish Immigration Center continues to lie about their role in turning woman in to State Department
- Why no effort to repair damage to Irish Famine memorial in New York nearly one year after? - Car slammed into memorial and ugly plywood and metal barricades still mark the site
- How sports helped defeat the 'No Irish Need Apply' racism in America - Top baseball exec Tim Brosnan tells Irish Sports 50 how Irish served as example
- Sandy scourged Rockaways is on the mend with a little help from community spirit and perseverance
|Still from movie "Innocence of Muslims"|
Have you actually watched the film that all the murder and mayhem has been about?
It is called “Innocence of Muslims” and I watched it on YouTube last night and thought it was some kind of hellish joke.
It is so badly put together and utterly impossible to follow that it is quite possibly the worst film ever made.
It makes “The Attack of the Killer Tomatoes” look like “Ben Hur,” and “Ali Baba” look like high literature.
How millions of Muslims can take such grave offense that people have died because of this piece of garbage is hard to believe.
More to the point, the Muslim leadership needs to stop fueling the flames every time some idiot casts aspersions on their religion.
Catholics did not riot when the “Piss Christ” exhibition took place in New York featuring a crucifix in a jar of urine.
Nor did Jews riot when violently anti-Semitic texts were approved for schools in many Muslim countries.
I understand it is a complex issue but let’s call a spade a spade. The “movie” I watched on YouTube has as much to do with Americans and the American government as I have with Genghis Khan.
Attacking America is a reflex action of course, anti- Americanism is always the safe fallback, the better to keep the attention away from many of their own despotic leaders.
But Muslim leaders really need to come into the 21st Century and stop the demonization that is leading to such violence.
It is destroying any hope of a common understanding.
They need to look at the mote in their own eye as we all do. A parody Twitter account of Syria’s president, Bashar al-Assad, posted: “Wow! Good thing I just bombed mosques, killed women and children and I didn’t make an anti-Muslim video! People would be after me!”
That says it all.
As W.B. Yeats wrote,
“The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.”
Read more: Family of Irish American former Navy SEAL killed in Libyan protests mourn their “hero” - VIDEOS
- Good Morning America says Sasha and Malia...
- Sinn Fein deputy leader speaks out against...
- Former church spokesman criticised for using...
- Michelle Obama and daughters trace their...
- President Obama’s visit to North comes at...
- Daily Mail unloads on 'drunken young' Paddys...
- Body of Irish immigrant tossed in medical...
- Dating website for ‘homosensible’ Catholic...
- Michelle Obama and daughters visit Glendalough.
- Shock as Irish priest praises Prime Minister’s.