John F. Kennedy and Ronald Reagan rated way too low in new July 4th presidential poll
- President Obama’s visit to North comes at a critical time for peace process - Hopes that he can help stop slow slide into the dark side
- Boston Irish Immigration Center continues to lie about their role in turning woman in to State Department
- Why no effort to repair damage to Irish Famine memorial in New York nearly one year after? - Car slammed into memorial and ugly plywood and metal barricades still mark the site
- How sports helped defeat the 'No Irish Need Apply' racism in America - Top baseball exec Tim Brosnan tells Irish Sports 50 how Irish served as example
- Sandy scourged Rockaways is on the mend with a little help from community spirit and perseverance
The latest ranking of the American presidents in a Siena College poll of historians is listed below just in time for July 4th.
There are several surprises and choices I strongly disagree with .
Lincoln was the greatest president period.
He faced down the very destruction of the United States and an internal war that neither of the Roosevelts,or even Washington faced in their lifetime and he conquered it all.
John F.Kennedy deserves to be much higher on the list as does Ronald Reagan.
Though Kennedy only served less than one term he defined an era and reshaped the presidency in an incredible way.
Apart from the style points he also began the herculean task of changing the attitude towards minority rights and set off an immense but gratifying struggle that lasted up to our current president, whose race and skin color would have automatically blocked him in the Kennedy era.
It took Ronald Reagan to pound the last nail into the coffin of communism and help free up numerous small nations as well as Russia itself in his time. Again, he confronted the biggest challenge of an era and came out ahead.
Both Reagan and Kennedy made great speeches, both in Berlin .
Kennedy's 'Ich Bein Ein Berliner' and Reagan's 'Mr. Gorbachev tear down this wall.' both aimed at the destruction of communism will last for ever .
Both inspired Americans too, with their style and substance. Ask any Republican or Democrat today who their favorite president is and they will name Reagan on the GOP side and Kennedy on the other.
They continue to inspire too .
Why then put Woodrow Wilson ranked ahead of them? He was the man who blundered into the First World War and helped create the useless League of Nations?
Seems to me he failed the biggest test of his time.
Here is the complete list
F. Roosevelt 1
T. Roosevelt 2
L.B. Johnson 16
J. Adams 17
J.Q. Adams 19
G.H. Bush 22
Van Buren 23
B. Harrison 34
W.H. Harrison 35
G.W. Bush 39
A. Johnson 43
15 - 34 | See all comments
- President Obama’s visit to North comes at...
- Is Rory McIlroy a spoiled brat and just an...
- Shock as Irish priest praises Prime Minister’s.
- Sinn Fein deputy leader speaks out against...
- Secret Service agents take to the Fermanagh...
- The Irish are known for being friendly to...
- BBC defends Danny Baker’s anti-Irish tweet...
- Irish politician receives death threat after...
- Young Irish immigrant dies tragically in...
- Pro-life Fine Gael Senator confirms she will...